Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I Run


Or maybe I Ran would be a more appropriate title. I wouldn't call myself a runner, afterall, I've only run twice, but I can say with confidence that I did run and hope to do it some more. The first day I ran about 2 miles and the second day I ran 3 miles and I ran, like didn't walk (okay, I walked once the first day, but only for 2 or 3 minutes). We are blessed to have a trail head leading to acres of forest very close to our house so the possibilities are endless. I am also blessed with an incredible neighbor who watched my children so that I could run.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've always despised running for running's sake. Give me a ball to chase and I'm in, but to run just because? No, thanks. Or at least that's how I felt back in the day when I could poo solo and speak with other adults without hearing "Mom" a dozen times. Yes, back in the day running was work. Now, those quiet mornings on the trails - yes all two of them - are more reminiscent of vacation, giving me time to breathe, albeit heavily, and to retreat into myself. It's a time when I can worry only about taking care of me, which I believe will help me to be a better mother, wife, friend, doula and certainly a better woman.

This newfound hobby has also inspired me to create something using one of my other hobbies, sewing. You see, I have to carry a trail map and my phone when I run so that if my directionally challenged self should suddenly become lost and all the trees look the same (I'm a landmark kinda gal), I'd be able to make a desperate call for help. So, while I completely understand the practicality of the fanny pack, as a child of the 80's I just cannot wave the white flag and surrender to this method of toting necessities. Hopefully I'll get this fanny pack alternative put together soon and, if it works the way I imagine it will, I'll post a tutorial soon.


So, it has actually been two weeks since I ran. Will I continue? I don't know. It's hard to find time with three kids and our other responsibilities (only a few of which I mention in this post). I do know that I felt stronger, more confident and even happier after I ran. I think just knowing that I can do it makes me feel better about myself. Hopefully I will be able to find time to fit running into my life, at least occasionally. It's just one more piece of the puzzle, also known as me.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this updated fanny pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should totally rock the fanny pack, Rachel!

    I run with a pack from REI that sits on the back rather than the fanny - holds water bottle, phone, keys, etc. - and I love it. Fanny pack or not, I'm workin it!!

    ReplyDelete